Chef Louise Pickford
Coconut and Passion Fruit Cake
PREP TIME: 60 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 120 MINUTES
SERVES: 8 PEOPLE
- 175g unsalted butter, at room temperature.
- 215g (1 cup) caster sugar.
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked.
- 200g (1 1/3 cups) self-raising flour, sifted.
- 50g (2/3 cup) shredded coconut.
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder.
- 125g (1/2 cup) Bulla Light Sour Cream.
- Shredded coconut, extra, to decorate.
- Vegetable oil, to grease.
- Passionfruit icing.
- 3 large passionfruit, halved.
- 150g (1 cup) icing sugar mixture, sifted.
- 125g unsalted butter, at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Brush a round 23cm (base measurement) cake pan with oil to grease. Line the base and side with non-stick baking paper.
- Place butter, sugar, egg, flour, coconut, baking powder and sour cream in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Spoon mixture into the pan and smooth surface. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 5 minutes to cool before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, place the extra coconut in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until toasted. Transfer to a plate. Set aside to cool completely.
- To make the passionfruit icing, strain the passionfruit pulp through a fine sieve into a bowl, gently pushing the pulp through the sieve with the back of a spoon (you will need 2 tablespoons passionfruit juice). Reserve the seeds. Place the icing sugar and butter in a bowl. Use an electric beater to beat until smooth and creamy. Gradually beat in the passionfruit juice.
- Place the cake on a cake stand or platter and use a palette knife to spread the icing over the top of cake.
- Sprinkle the coconut and reserved passionfruit seeds over the cake. Cut into slices and serve.
Virginia, United States
Barboursville Malvaxia Passito 2015